I don’t know about you, but seeing bugs crawling around my home is not my idea of a pleasant situation!
First of all, they look gross. On top of that, some pests carry harmful diseases and invade kitchens to look for food… Yikes.
When you’re thinking about how to keep bugs out of your house, you might be tempted to pick up the phone and call a pest control company right away. However, if you’re not afraid of trying some DIY methods, you may find that they work just as well as professional pest control services!
As a real estate agent serving Austin, TX and the surrounding areas, I know that many homeowners struggle with pest control. So, here are a few simple tips to help you get rid of creepy crawlies and get your peace of mind back!
How to keep spiders out of your house
Spiders are just plain creepy. Not only that – some types of spider bites can be fatal! So, it’s important for you to do whatever you can to get rid of them for good.
If you’re into natural pest control methods, here are a few ideas you can try:
- Use citrus scents at your entryways – Spiders hate citrus, so grab a lemon, cut it in half, and rub it around your door frames and window frames. Or, you can try mixing lemon juice and water in a spray bottle and spraying the area.
- Use essential oils – Spiders are repelled by the scent of peppermint, citrus, and lavender essential oils. Choose your favorite of those oils, and add 10 drops of it to a spray bottle. Then, add water until you’ve created a scented solution. Once it’s ready, spray down any cracks and entryways in your home. As a bonus, you’ll get to enjoy the aroma of the essential oil throughout your home!
- Use vinegar – Create spider repellant by mixing white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Then, spray down the cracks and entryways in your home and voila – no spiders!
Here are a few other things you can do to keep spiders out of your house:
- Get rid of existing webs – If you take a spider’s home away, it probably won’t have a reason to return to the same spot! So, grab a vacuum or a broom and eliminate any webs in or around your home to encourage spiders to find a new place to live.
- Seal up your walls – A crack in the wall gives spiders an easy entrance to your home. Buy some caulk, and seal up those cracks so they don’t have a way to get inside.
- Eliminate outdoor debris – Got boxes or piles of wood outside your home? If your answer is yes, then you’ve probably got spiders hanging out there too! Clean up any trash and debris, and make sure garden waste is kept far from your home.
If you try these measures and still notice spiders in and around your home, you may need to call a local pest control company. After all, trying to kill a spider can be dangerous, especially if it’s a black widow or brown recluse!
How to keep ants out of your house
Everyone has been bitten by an ant at some point (or worse – a fire ant!). It hurts, but that’s not the only problem with ants. When they infest your home, they can get into both your food and your pet’s food.
To keep them out, try these DIY natural pest control methods:
- Crushed mint leaves – These leaves work great as an ant repellant. If you can’t find the leaves in your grocery store, use mint tea bags – they work just as well!
- Soapy water – Mix soap and water in a spray bottle, and then start spraying down your ants! The solution will immobilize and kill them.
- Cucumber slices – Ants aren’t a fan of the scent of cucumber. So, cut up some and place it around any ant entry points.
If you’d like to take a more aggressive approach and kill entire ant colonies in your yard, you can create an ant-killing solution with 1 teaspoon of borax, one liter of water, and a cup of sugar. Once you’ve mixed the solution, soak a few cotton balls in it. Then, place the soaked cotton balls in a small container (like a plastic cup) with a few holes cut in it to give the ants easy access inside.
The ants will find the cotton balls and carry bits home to their colonies. Then, any ant who eats or smells the cotton balls will die… Problem solved!
How to keep roaches out of your house
Roaches might be the creepiest of all household pests. The way they scuttle across your floor and into your pantry – ugh. Just the thought makes me shudder!
Luckily, there are a few things you can try to keep these nasty nuisances out of your house:
- Boric powder – This substance is poisonous to roaches. Try using it in places where the roaches tend to hang out in your home, and it should kill the infected roach and all of the other roaches that it came into contact with.
- Soapy water – Like ants, roaches die when they come into contact with soapy water. Spray it directly on to any roaches in your home, and they’ll die instantly.
- Roach bait – You can purchase bait gel to combat a roach infestation. Just make sure you check for harmful ingredients and keep your pets and loved ones away from the bait if necessary!
And remember – one of the best things you can do to keep roaches (and other pests) out of your house is clean regularly! Make sure you don’t leave any food out on the kitchen counter, and keep all of your trash cans and food containers tightly sealed.
If you have any questions about home pest control or if you are looking for a real estate agent in Austin, Killeen, or a surrounding area, feel free to contact me – Dagmar Rogers. You can reach me by calling or texting 254-258-0777.
I look forward to talking to you and helping you find the right Texas home!